System 1 vs. System 2:
Psychologists have been intensely interested for several decades in the two modes of thinking. Let’s quickly understand the difference between these two ways of thinking:
- System 1: Look at the woman’s photo! What did you feel? When you look at that photo you have a fast, and automatic response. These types of responses in your brain are categorized as “system 1.” They happen frequently, they’re emotional, and often happen without your control.
- System 2: Calculate 17×24 – what’s the answer? To answer that your brain must work slow, and effortful. It’s logical, calculating, and conscious
So that’s it. You process the world in two modes: fast (system 1) and slow (system 2). I’ll go into more depth on the difference between system 1 and 2 in the next episode of this podcast. But for now, that’s all you need to know.
Cognitive Biases Discussed in this Episode:
- The Lazy Controller [Chapter 3]
- Cognitive Ease [Chapter 5]
- A Machine For Jumping to Conclusions / The Halo Effect [Chapter 7]
Daniel Kahneman Videos
I found another book I should probably read
Title: Thinking, Fast and Slow
Author: Daniel Kahneman
Hardcover: 512 pages
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux; Reprint edition (April 2, 2013)